Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael Phelps and Facebook friends...


"Making Olympic history is a sure way to get more Facebook friends. Michael Phelps told Bob Costas this weekend that he received over 7,000 requests in a few days. Here is a transcript of the Facebook portion of Phelps' interview that was posted on USA Today

Costas: Somebody told me about an hour ago that this week on Facebook ...

Phelps: Oh, my gosh, it's crazy.

Costas: You've gone by Michael Jordan, Manchester United, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. But it doesn't stop there. You've gone by the Jonas Brothers, you've gone by Miley Cirus, you've gone by Justin Timberlake. You swept the board.

Phelps: I checked it one day and I checked it two days later, and I had like 2,800 in one day, and then I went back on two days later and had like 7,600 friend requests. I can't accept anymore, but I have those sitting in my box.

Costas: And, of course, you consider them all close personal friends, and you'll respond to them all in due time.

Phelps: Of course, of course.

Costas: Also, you got Will Smith by the way. You moved past Will Smith, at least for the time being.

Phelps: It's cool. I'm having fun. That's all I've wanted to do.

And if you've ever received a Facebook friend request from a former high school nemesis or bully, you actually have something in common with Phelps. According to this New York Times article, kids who once tormented Phelps are now trying to befriend him via the social network:

“It’s funny,” Phelps said. “Every now and then you get on Facebook and you have people you see and you’re like, ‘Wow, I went to school with them and they never said a single word to me and now they’re trying to be my friend.’ I think it’s funny.”

Facebook isn't the only way folks are connecting to Phelps. According to The Associated Press, since swimming ended Sunday, Phelps estimated he'd received 4,000-to-5,000 text messages on his Blackberry.

1 comments:

D said...

JEEZ - can you imagine if he didn't have unlimited texts - how much that'd been??